WHY A LANDSCAPE OBSERVATORY?
Landscape is increasingly being recognized by people and institutions responsible for their management as a natural and cultural value related to the identity of communities, representing an interaction between society and nature over time.
The European Landscape Convention (ELC), established in Florence in 2000 by the European Council and ratified by Portugal in 2005, considers “landscape” as a part of the territory, such as perceived by people, whose character is the result of the action and interaction of natural and human factors”, and sets as objectives the promotion of its protection, planning and management. The European Council recommends the creation of networks, centres and fora with the aim of collecting, exchanging and enhancing the information related to landscape, thus promoting the knowledge and participation of the involved communities. This has led to the concept of Landscape Observatory (LO), which is being developed in several countries and that has inspired the Charneca Landscape Observatory.
WHO WE ARE
OBSERVATÓRIO DA PAISAGEM DA CHARNECA, Associação, is a not-for-profit organization created in August 2018, registration nr. 515 032 999. It has its headquarters at the Observatório da Charneca, in Casal do Gavião, Gaviãozinho, 2140-255 Chouto, municipality of Chamusca.
AIMS OF THE ASSOCIATION
- To promote the knowledge of the Charneca do Tejo landscape and its dissemination;
- To promote communication among people and organizations interested in topics related to the Charneca do Tejo landscape; promote activities directed to its members and the general public, which aim to create and develop participation actions and experiences based on the landscape, the cultural heritage and territorial identities;
- To collaborate with public and private organizations on common goals, hence free to celebrate agreements, consortia and other similar consented association of interests;
- To establish exchange and partnerships with national and international organizations with the aim of promoting the exchange of experiences and the coproduction of technical and scientific knowledge in the domains of landscape, local and regional development and the sustainable management of natural resources;
- • To contribute to increase the awareness of the civil society regarding the value of landscape and its transformations.
Board of Directors
- President – Maria da Graça Amaral Neto Saraiva
- Vice-President – Isabel Loupa Ramos
- Director – Carlos Pinto Coelho Amaral Netto
- President –João Carlos Durão Lopes Saraiva
- Secretary – Carlos José Egreja Morais
- Member – Carlos Frederico Abecassis Amaral Netto
- President – João Carlos Magalhães do Amaral Neto,
- Member – Maria Helena Martins Alves
- Member – Roberto Rafael Dias Martins